Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, June 19, 2006

Apparently, Nick Di Paolo Gives a Shit About My Obscure Ass

I got the following e-mail today when I came home:

Hi Dave,

What's up? An ex-evangelical christian who used to write Hallmark
cards..with qualifications like those i can see why you
believe you're an expert on the subject of stand up comedy. I know
your type, if you disagree with a comic's political views
(usually conservative) you brand that person not funny. Talk about a
hack approach. Let me guess, you love the Daily Show,
Al Franken, and David Cross because those guys are edgy right? Takes
alot balls to go after white, heterosexual , christain males these days.
(Ah, Distant irony the favorite weapon of comedians with no balls.) The
fact that you called sam Kinison homophobic and sexist tells me all i
need to know about your knowledge of comedy. Hey, and speaking of
comedy, you said in your article
your doing comedy here in NYC, so why don't you come by the comedy
cellar or any one of these shit holes and maybe i can get you on..oh
that's right
then you'd have to call me an asshole to my face. Anyways, maybe i'll
se you around the clubs here in the city ..then again probably not.

Sincerely,

Nick D iPaolo

p.s.

Give Jon Stewart a call at the Daily Show and ask him if he thinks I'm
funny..just curious

Bourbon Cowboy???? fuckin brilliant

It was mailed to me directly, not posted as a comment, but I've taken the liberty of reprinting it here for its own bizarre humor value, and because I'm having a hard time believing it could actually be Nick Di Paolo. I mean--really? The Nick Di Paolo? The same Nick whose page on MySpace ("A Place For Friends") shows that he has two times more permanent friends, as I write this, than I have had hits on my website in the last month and a half? The same Nick Di Paolo whose been paid to do comedy for 19 years and has appeared on Letterman, Leno, and the comedy roast of Pamela Anderson? Is he e-mailing me? Is he really that obsessive? (And if it were the real Nick Di Paolo, wouldn't he have typed his own name correctly?)

But it comes at a fortunate time, because I was just about to respond to what amounts to a popular hue and cry in these e-hinterlands (a single request from Jangler) for my promised post on Carlos Mencia. I'm working on it now, but I also have a little schmoozing to do tomorrow (Calvin Trillin's giving a reading and I want to hand him my poetry). So ... more later.

AFTERNOTE

In looking at my own comments in my original post that apparently sparked this reaction, I realize I did the readers (and Nick) a disservice by not actually quoting any of Nick's jokes. In the interest of fairness, I intend to examine his website more carefully before responding this time. You never know who might be checking your homework.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't wear out your hands typing "[sic]" in all the appropriate places.

6/19/2006 11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious. It reminds me of something I saw a few months ago - where someone had insulted Joe Rogan on his MySpace. Joe lost his shit and engaged in a tittycrybaby email battle with this kid. It was funny, if not pathetic. But, comedians are notorious for being insecure and obsessive (and drunk), so is it really surprising?

6/20/2006 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

This is brilliant.

-Jason

6/20/2006 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll get enough of this kind of correspondence to put together an "interesting letters" segment for the next Stamford.

I'm still trying to figure out what "alot balls" are, and if there is a relevant ointment.

6/20/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home