Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, May 22, 2006

Gore '08? Really?

Maybe Hilary isn't the presumptive Democratic nominee. Over at Talking Points Memo, Matthew Yglesias reads a New York Times article that says "Many people like Gore, but he's stigmatized because of his failure last time"---and then, as M.Y. notes, the article fails to interview anyone who actually feels that way. So he's done his own off-the-cuff research and discovers (mostly) the opposite: most of the Democrats who replied actually like Gore, with one exception: the vocal anti-PMRC wing (Remember those PMRC folks? Used to put labels on music albums?).

I'm not a safe guy to ask in this debate because I always felt that the only thing Gore did wrong in 2000 was not stand up in the middle of the Presidential debate and say, "Forget all this 'he-said, she-said' crap! I'd just like to point out that I've been serving this country in the Senate for twenty years longer than my opponent has even been sober!" Harsh, but hard to forget once you're in the voting booth. Then later he could have maybe added, "And I actually did sponsor the bill that funded ARPANET, which turned into the Internet. And I'd like to remind our journalists that confirming facts like this is what The Congressional Record is published for." This is why I'll never be a politician---that, and the fact that I'm an atheist, which makes me theoretically ineligible to hold office in seven states.

Still, that gives me a great idea for a bumper sticker this time around: VOTE FOR A PRESIDENT, NOT A DRINKING BUDDY. I welcome other suggestions. (Jason?)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta be kidding?!

5/22/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather vote for a drinking buddy than the horrible war-monger we have now. My bumper sticker would read: "More Booze, Less War." I wish Bush were still a coked-up souse. He would be too busy snorting blow off his intern's ass to invade Iran...

5/22/2006 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home