Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, May 19, 2006

What Would You-Know-Who Click On?

A very nice fellow contacted me today, introducing himself as, among other things, a former evangelical Christian. He recently read my posts on Christian utopian literature (In His Steps (1895), What Would Jesus Do (1950), etc.) and suggested that I'm leaving out at least one major work.

And you know what? While you're clicking on stuff, why don't you---especially you cat people---check out this site, created by Steve King: Hallmark writer, former co-worker, and author of the comment, reported earlier this month, "Speaking of animals, would you like to see the rat's ass that I give?" Even with his work at Hallmark, this site makes it clear that Steve has vast entertaining reaches of untapped whimsy. Thank God he's uncorking it now.

LATER:

Almost forgot: My friend (and fellow comedian from back in college) Jason Rohrbacker also has a blog. It's not light verse, but it is Top Ten Lists, so it's just as easy to read. Alas, my favorite list of all time---Top Ten Signs You Are An Insurance Claims Adjuster---is either not on the site or it's hiding. But today's makes a great introduction, too.

Now I'd better go before this posting metamorphoses again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Dave, thanks for the plug. I've already linked to you from my little acre in the blogosphere. I'll re-post your fave list, Top Ten Signs You Are An Auto Insurance Adjuster, soon. You rock and you rock and you don't stop...

5/20/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I was at your spot and I realized that a.) you use blogspot too, and b.) you seem to have a list of links and fave sites. How did you do that? I want one!

5/20/2006 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I believe I have a copy of “In HIs Steps’ in storage! Unless I got rid of it during college…

5/24/2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home