Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

'80s Christian Music on YouTube!

Thank god for the Internet! When I left Kansas City, I left behind my extremely heavy collection of vinyl, since it was intensely represented by Christian music, and I was a newly minted atheist who never listened to it anymore. But I've definitely missed some of those songs, and after that last post, I did a little poking and discovered that many of these songs live on in YouTube form. If you're completely unfamiliar with Christian music, this probably won't be representative--I was something of an alternakid in my tastes, so heavy on the new wave/indie sound instead of Amy Grant, Petra, and DeGarmo & Key. But you might find these songs fun. I do, however, repudiate all the visuals, which are either cobbled together by people at home, or produced in the '80s on Christian-music budgets. I actually can't decide which is worse. I advise you to listen with your eyes closed.

1. The Seventy Sevens, "Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba"



2. Daniel Amos, "(It's The Eighties, So Where's Our) Rocket Packs"



3. Tonio K., "What Women Want" (A bit retrograde, but listenable)



4. Larry Norman, "Why Don't You Look Into Jesus" (Radosh's pick; definitely the best Larry Norman song on YouTube. It's amazing what he got away with in the 70s.)



5. Prodigal, "Future Now"



and -- what the hell -- how about...

6. Crumbacher, "Glowing in the Dark"




By the way, if anyone out there is planning to release a few more of these lost singles on YouTube, may I make a few requests? There was a lot of Daniel Amos, but very few of my own favorite songs ("William Blake," "Dance Stop," "As the World Turns," "New Car!" "Darn Floor Big Bite"), and there was almost no Tonio K. (I'd love to see "Impressed," "True Confessions," and maybe "Romeo Loves Jane")...and, much to my shock, almost no Mark Heard (though lots of other people seem to be covering his "Strong Hand of Love"). Most of this work went out of print before it even went to CD, so really--anything you pirates can do, I'd love you for it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home