Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Nongo

Let me just add to the chorus of woe, as I was one of those people who woke up this morning to discover that Scrabulous has been disabled because of a lawsuit from Hasbro. It was inevitable--the article that says Scrabulous "bears a close resemblance to the word game Scrabble" is being absurdly tactful. Scrabulous is Scrabble in every particular, from the tile counts to the board layout to the words used in the official dictionaries. So this was bound to happen at some point, and now that Hasbro has recently put out Scrabble Beta--a truly clunky, slow-moving alternative that's inferior in every way--the writing was on the wall.

I have to say that I'm reasonably confident that they'll work something out, because apparently Scrabulous is the single most popular feature on Facebook (so Facebook has a reason to keep it alive) and it has caused a spike in sales of the Scrabble board game (so Hasbro benefits from having them around).

In the meantime, though, it looks like my life just got waaaaaay more productive.

UPDATE: Here's another article that's a bit more detailed.

1 Comments:

Blogger dbc said...

I'm in mourning as well, but like you, I'm also a bit more productive.

The sad part is that my mother-in-law really loves Scrabulous, and it, along with Facebook itself, has helped her both active in retirement and in frequent contact with us. Hasbro, you're has-beens.

OK, crummy (and probably unoriginal) pun, but it works.

7/29/2008 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home