Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

We've Got Ourselves a Candidate!

President Obama. It's got a nice ring to it.

And by the way, check out this bit of analysis from Washington Monthly: apparently, the best person on the VP ticket is Edwards--by a heck of a lot. Even so, I'm still pulling for Sebelius: since we're already being historic, why not let's go for an all-precedent-breaking team! I predict a total whomping of McCain no matter who the veep winds up being.

That being said, Hillary needs to just shut up. I never thought I'd say this, but after tonight's results, where we have a presumptive nominee and a real need for unity, Hillary's non-concession speech which called for further prolonged division, perpetuated the lie about her popular vote count, and refused to acknowledge even an inch of the electoral reality that everyone else has copped to, we're officially not friends anymore. Even if she finds a bit of class later on when it polls better, it's too late. And I hope she stays way the hell out of the cabinet, too.

UPDATE: And now, having said all that, I have to say that Hillary at least gives a great speech, befitting her own historical moment. After watching McCain's clunker of a thing in Louisiana, I'm thinking it's about time Republicans learned a thing or two about rhetoric again. I was in Tucson when McCain came to my high school during his first senate campaign, and I know he can be really magnetic in person. So I hope people don't judge him forever by the speech tonight, because he really can do better. For now, though, every time I want to cringe, I just remember that weak, singsongy refrain, "THAT'S not change we can BELIEVE in?" Retire this meme pronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home