Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Temporary Blackout Planned

The good news: I have a contract! Everything's going smoothly, and I should be in New York City and out of the country before I start developing Dutch elm disease.

The other news: I have to finish my book by July 1st. That's in the contract.

I was already planning to do this, and was on schedule to finish in another two weeks. But something about the fact that it's now here, in contract form, with money in the balance, makes me as nervous as I felt right before my doctoral defense: I knew I'd pass, I was well ahead of schedule...but I suddenly became hypervigilant about anything going wrong.

Therefore, in order to maximize the attention I have to give to the book in the next two to three weeks, I'm about to rip out my wi-fi card and only use it once every 10,000 words of decent text. That'll be maybe every two or three days. So I probably won't be blogging much (after a day filled with lots of writing, you don't necessarily want to unwind with more writing), and you can expect hiatuses in my email correspondence. So if you really need to contact me, either call me at my new number (email if you don't have it, I guess) or...well, try not to need to contact me in a hurry.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna postpone our Scrabulish game until July 1st for your own good. See how nice I am?

6/05/2008 5:42 PM  
Blogger dbc said...

Go for it!

6/06/2008 8:37 AM  
Blogger Susan Isaacs said...

Go to a cabin. That's what I did. There's a Benedictine monastery up the Hudson. Do it. Amazing what you can get done when you have no internet. But you aren't reading this because you already have a blackout and you're in good shape. write write write!

6/07/2008 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home