Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Moth--Now In Podcast Form!

If you want to get a sense of what the storytelling scene in Manhattan is like, you're in luck! The Moth--the granddaddy of New York storytelling--has now produced a podcast! There are four stories currently available, which you can find on iTunes ("The Moth Podcast," helpfully listed under New Podcasts), or through their website at http://www.themoth.org/. I strongly recommend that you sign up! It'll be good for them, entertaining for you, and a big bonus to karma all around. All of the first four stories are good, but I admit to being particularly fond of Malcolm Gladwell's story about working certain phrases into major newspaper articles (recently used on This American Life as well), and Dan Kennedy's story about "keeping it real" as a delusional 35-year-old wannabe punk rocker in corporate America.

Also, the next Moth Slam is on March 31st, and the theme is "Fame." I will be competing, and possibly even getting called onstage. So be there! (Details on the Moth website's calendar, which I just gave you a link to in the last paragraph.)

UPDATE: I've now heard all the stories, and I take it back: Alan Rabinowitz's "Man and Beast" is my favorite. A kid with a crippling stutter, who has never spoken a single coherent sentence to another human being until his twenties, gets involved in zoology and...well, it's just a great tale. Go get it. (If there's any way to link directly to an iTunes story--since iTunes is a program, not a web browser--I don't know it. Just search Podcasts for "The Moth.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home