Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Incidental Poem: A Naive Question About Women's Toiletries

A NAIVE QUESTION ABOUT WOMEN'S TOILETRIES

Oh, what the hell is "shower gel?"
The bottle's French and doesn't tell.
It's creamy-white with hints of taupe,
And has a citrus-floral smell.

I came here in the simple hope
That I could find a bar of soap
There's "rinse," "exfoliant,"... and yet
Is there a thing marked "cleanser?" Nope.

It pumps out in a techno-jet,
And seems to lather up when wet
I'd use it, but I fear as well
That there is something I don't get.

A word to all those folks who sell--
A diagram would serve to quell
My angst, and stop this baffled yell:
Oh, what the hell is shower gel?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're confusing "kvell" and "kvetch".

3/30/2008 2:08 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I am indeed. Helps to look stuff up! Thanks for the note. I'll fix that line.

3/30/2008 2:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shouldn't it be a B rhyme, anyway? Rhyming with "taupe?" Like "mope" or something?

3/30/2008 4:19 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Okay. I changed "Until then hear me kvell" (turns out "kvell" means to boast pridefully) to "and stop my baffled yell," which I don't know why I didn't notice earlier. Yell is perfect.

And Brian--look at the rhyme scheme and you'll see that the off rhyme in every quatrain (the third line) is the main rhyme in the next (lines one, two, and four). So for the last stanza, I simply looped back so that the third line of that one also matched the first, second, and third of the FIRST stanza. It's just that the main rhyme in both stanzas is "ell," so it looks like there's no change. But that's intentional. There were so many "ell" rhymes available I just wanted to keep throwing them at this concept.

3/30/2008 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home