Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

*Clink!*

I almost forgot to drink! While I was cleaning for my move, I found this cute little bottle of Tomintoul 10 ("the gentle dram;" pencil added for size comparison). This was a gift from my friend Charles, who brought it back from a trip to the U.K., and I promised him I'd drink it in celebration the day I got an agent. So, okay, I was off by a few days, but yesterday I did it as soon as I had a free moment in my new temporary New Jersey digs.

I've discovered that this is one of the weird things about any kind of audition-based job-hunting. You work and you work and you work, and nothing happens, and then suddenly everything changes overnight as easily as an email or a phone call. It happened seven years ago when I found I'd gotten a piece accepted by The Atlantic Monthly, and happened again just over a year ago when I got my first "yes" from This American Life. And now I have an agent, and that's another potentially life-changing "yes." So it turns out life can be merciful! It just takes a while sometimes.

Anyway, I invite everyone to charge their glasses. Here's to life's sudden changes for the good! If you want to make an artificial "clink" noise with your mouths, I will completely understand.

LATER: Oh, I forgot! The Tomintoul was very nice. I expected something smoky or peaty, but it was more sweet and grassy, with definite notes of citrus. I'd have to call it the sunniest, most optimistic single malt I've ever had. Though of course I might be biased.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home