Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Not Funny Ha-Ha, Funny Like a Smell

I subscribe to the New Yorker Cartoon Bank's cartoon-a-day service--which, as you might expect, sends me a free New Yorker cartoon every day, visible in LiveJournal. All in all it's been (as you'd expect) a mixed bag: some funny, some not. But even the bad ones are often lovely to look at, so on the whole it's been a big thumbs-up.

Today, however, it was pretty clear they'd screwed something up. It looks like I'd been sent a cartoon that obviously required a caption, and yet there was none. That happened occasionally at Hallmark, so I recognized the problem. (We once sent out a card whose outside said "Brother..." along with a suspiciously large blank empty space, and on the inside it said, "I miss doing that." It sold, how do you say, poorly.) So I clicked the link to report the error, and I discovered it wasn't an error. It's just not that funny.

Just so The New Yorker Of The Past can learn the difference between a punch line and a premise, I've been trying to think of a caption that COULD go with the drawing, but so far, I haven't come up with anything I'm willing to type. When I have something that doesn't suck, I'll let you know. Feel free to make suggestions.

[Later:] Got one! "If this were a Charles Addams cartoon, we'd be about to go over a waterfall."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good it wasn't just me!

It would have worked *slightly* better if the image was large enough to actually tell what was going on.

12/20/2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Forget what the guidebooks say and don't tip this time! These are the last dry clothes I have."

12/20/2007 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(What, by the way, was the missing part of the "Brother..." card?)

12/20/2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Good question. The missing text was something like, "Remember when we were younger and I always used to tease you and call you names? Well now that we're older, I just have to say..." You could have written it yourself.

12/20/2007 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home