Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Anu Garg Did Me a Solid

Forgot to mention this earlier, but a few weeks back, I noticed that my site, which averages about a hundred hits a day, had suddenly had 3,000 visitors. The hell? Then I noticed that all the new comments were on a single entry: my poem on the word jentacular.

I contacted one of the commenters and found out the deal: Anu Garg (his real name, apparently) runs a Word-A-Day feature that you can sign up for via email. You get five new words every week, usually on some theme or other (toponyms, Arabic words, words about the ocean, etc.), and then on the weekend he compiles a sort of "best of comments" emailing where people say things like, "I always had trouble spelling supersede, and then I came up with this mnemonic..." or "That word reminds me of a soda bottle I once saw on vacation in Belize..." At any rate, on this particular week, the theme was "words about food," and one of the days (I want to say Thursday) was "jentacular" (pertaining to breakfast). And one of the commenters said, "Speaking of jentacular, here's a cool poem"--and linked to my site.

So I adjusted the jentacular poem accordingly (I essentially added a welcome mat), and then promptly stopped updating my site (computer woes), so I imagine that anyone who started reading my blog because of Word-A-Day lost interest pretty quickly. Still--it was nice, and I'd just like to thank Anu Garg publicly, as well as the person who sent the link. If you ever want a bunch of silly vocabulary poems...well, I think I'm actually the only game in town.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ERIC SHACKLE said...

Hi Dave. Anu Garg is a well-known Seattle wordsmith who has just oublished his third book, "The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or two." Highly recommended.

For more details about his free newsletter, which is read by 620,000 wordlovers in 200 countries, see his website, http://wordsmith.org/awad/

12/20/2007 5:15 AM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

Thanks! He must be doing well, since he seems to have at least one employee.

12/20/2007 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home