Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

'Tis the Season Part I

Tonight after work I'm going to see the Annual Village Halloween Parade, which I'm kind of excited about. But it struck me just the other day that what I'm *really* excited about is actually living in New York for the holiday season, of which Halloween (if MovieTunes is anything to go by) is just a foretaste. This year, I'll actually be able to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in person! When they sing "City sidewalks, pretty sidewalks..." I'll be walking the very sidewalks I've always pictured! After years of watching Miracle on 34th Street, this year I actually work on 34th Street! And at least once, I intend to be one of those poor saps actually huddling outside waiting for the ball to drop inTimes Square on New Years Eve. (And you can tell I'm a New Yorker now because as soon as I imagined Times Square on New Years, I thought, "Where the hell do all those people go to the bathroom?" Because if they don't have a zillion port-a-potties, the line at Starbucks is gonna be around the block and three folks wide.)

Anyway, since I came here last February, I've been quite giddy with all the coolness, but it just struck me to day that, precisely because I came here in February, I haven't seen anything yet. The best is yet to come, as Frank Sinatra (whose birthplace is in New Jersey, right across the George Washington Bridge, which I can look at right now outside my window) said a few times. Or, to put it another way, "Woo-hoo!"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home