Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Flame And Variations

In the puzzle biz, you run across a lot of quotes. Not only in anacrostics and cryptograms (though those are big), but in little things like Letter Drops (I think Penny Press calls them Quote Falls) and mini-anacrostics (Dell calls them Figgerits) and suchlike. As a result, a lot of quotes, proposed as solutions to puzzles, pass my gaze. Most of them are merely competent and/or indifferent variations on Readers Digest themes like "To get success you must strive," "Don't talk so much," and "Pessimists are bad." It's a rare one indeed that arrests the attention.

The other day, however, I chanced to notice one that has been bugging me ever since. I hereby award it the Bourbon Cowboy Prize For Understatement in a Quotation. Here it is:

"It is bad advice to settle with a flamethrower what could be accomplished with words."

Well, yes. Ever since then my mind has been fermenting and coming up with variations on the quote that might make a little more sense and actually be worth solving. Such as these:

"It is bad advice to settle with a flamethrower what could be accomplished with words, and whoever gives you this advice should never be offered a cigarette."

"It is bad advice to settle with a flamethrower what could be accomplished with a single clean shot to the head."

"It is wrong to settle with a flamethrower what could be accomplished with words. But it's way more fun."

"It is bad advice to settle with a flamethrower what could be accomplished with words. But if you're ever tempted to, tell me ... where did you get the flamethrower?"

And so on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home