Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Won The Moth!

This is just to announce that I won last night's Moth Storytelling Slam at The Bitter End. This means I get to compete in the next Grand Slam six months from now. I'm thrilled as hell, though admittedly it was a weak night (only six real competitors; they had to beg audience members to fill out the list to the usual ten storytellers), and it actually rates as one of the lower-scoring stories I've told---unfairly, to my mind, but it was that kind of scattered sort of evening. The important thing is, I got the t-shirt just in time, because I didn't have time to go home and do laundry. Today, for a change, I'm wearing white.

Later I'll be posting the story I told---a story about my dad which many of my students (hi, Angela!) may be familiar with. But right now I really have to catch a bus. Happy payday!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the t-shirt and i'm running the risk of being late for work since i can't seem to tear myself away from your blogs..i'm intrigued by february..and july..dating/writing books..too much for tv!!maha..but i must refrain..in case i haven't told you lately,you crack me up..thx for that ;)

11/01/2006 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dave!

11/01/2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Angieb303 said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm drawing a blank though. Eighter I missed that day or I'm just having brain failure. Either option is possible!

11/01/2006 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just had a chance to peruse your july page since you stood me up for scrabble ;)

i came across this entry and these words seem kinda heartwarming considering the latest..

"I learned that the center of the scene is an organization called The Moth, which divides its time between two venues, and which holds storytelling slams every two weeks. ..the crowds are much more attuned to my rhythm and my style. Whenever I was doing stand-up, I was artificially amping myself up to get an audience's attention, and I always felt, "If I do what I really want, it won't be commercial enough to attract the average bar crowd." I don't have that fear among this crowd, and I really can't wait to test my chops. It's too early to tell, of course, but this scene feels very, very tantalizingly like home."

apparently you found your niche :)

11/01/2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home