Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Friday, July 07, 2006

Muzzled By Cruel Fate!

Woke up this morning and discovered that my connection was screwy, so I can't get online, post anything, or even so much as check my e-mail. (Except for here, from work.) If it isn't fixed by the time I get home, this could be a very dull weekend.

And I know: the obvious joke is something like, "See, Dave? God's punishing you for assigning a late date to the authorship of 2 Peter!" I just want to point out another thing, though, that may not have been clear: I was at my local store the other day and bought a fridge-pack of coke, and the price, after tax, came up $6.66. "Oh, wow!" said the cashier. "That must be some evil coke. I'd be nervous if I was you."

And it struck me then that catastrophizing superstition---and other things like anxiety and discomfort with sex---are not the exclusive property of evangelical Christians, and I didn't intend to suggest they were. Nor was I intending to imply that evangelical Christians are incapable of living without suffering psychological damage or couldn't mature into lovely human beings. What I was saying, which is not quite the same thing, is that if you want to get past our pan-cultural, universal human tendency to engage in catastrophic, superstitious thinking and binary obey-or-be-punished styles of morality, you can do it from anywhere. But evangelical Christians are, by the nature of their theology and worldview, going to have a slightly harder time than other people who aren't trapped by the evangelical's presuppositions. That's still something of a slam, but at least it's not a rabid one, and I think I can prove it. All I need is for my computer to work when I get home. If you don't hear from me, that's probably what's wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home