Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Busy!

Don't have time to do much but check in today, since work starts in five minutes and after work, instead of blogging, I'll be going on some sort of DJ'ed cruise down the Hudson River with a few people from work. Might be fun, might suck. But it'll keep me out late.

In a way, this may be just as well, because I was alarmed to discover last night that my wrists were hurting and my fingers were tingling, which are signs of carpal tunnel. I know this, because I had carpal tunnel ten years ago and it took a long time to make it stop. Apparently between this new typing-intensive job and my own tireless blogging, the condition bids fair to return if I'm not careful. So a day off is probably in order anyway.

But I also want to point out, publicly, to Mark, a few things that need clarifying: 1.) You didn't hijack the blog; in fact, you raised exactly the kinds of questions I was hoping to have an excuse to address at exactly the time that I was interested in writing on the topic of evangelicalism. In many ways, I could not have asked for a better interlocutor, since you are both fiercely evangelical and fiercely intelligent. 2.) You didn't keep me late at work: I've been staying late at work because I don't have an Internet connection at home for the moment. If I had such a connection, I would have gone home and ... wrote on my blog for hours and hours! Where I do it from really doesn't matter. Every sentence i wrote last night contributed to the book I'm hoping to create out of all this. So 3.) Thanks! (and 4.) a capacity to apologize is a wonderful human trait, isn't it? Apology accepted.)

Finally---dang, how time flies!---i don't even have time to link to it, but Washington Monthly pointed out recently that the Supreme Court ruling in the Hamdai case---which, you'll recall, finally went against the Bush administration's desire to keep due process out of the hands of anyone they really hate---went specifically against the claims of the Bush administration that 1.) Congress implicitly gave Bush permission to prosecute the "war on terror" by any means necessary, and in any event 2.) doing what the President deems necessary is one of the powers granted to him in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. Which, as it happens, are the exact same two arguments that Bush is using to defend his wiretapping! So if it goes to trial, it looks like we can count of 5 of the Supreme Court justices to turn down this argument too, and restore our system of checks and balances. Thank God. Only took five goddamn years, but maybe I'm finally getting my country back in non-spying, non-torturing, basically non-illegal form. If things keep going this way, soon I might even travel without pretending to be Canadian.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
The whole hand thing happened to me after pulling an all nighter to write a paper for you. Just kidding it took me atleast two night to write it. Really though, I did have a couple of times when I just couldn't type anymore, but you can't tell your teacher I'll get that to you later cause my wrist hurts. Teachers should be more understanding.

7/13/2006 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home