Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, May 29, 2006

I'm On Last Comic Standing Tuesday Night, Possibly!

As mentioned in this post long ago, I think it's likely that you'll see me on Last Comic Standing this Tuesday Night, May 30th, in their two-hour premiere. The nbc.com website says it's at 8, 7 central and mountain. Since I didn't actually get in to compete or perform, your chance of seeing me will be in a brief early-in-the-episode interview section, or, failing that, possibly in one of the standard sweep-around-the-line-of-hopefuls shots such shows invariably include. I'll be the guy in the cowboy hat and boots. In either case, that's good news, because then you won't have to watch the entire thing, which---if my take on the host is anything to go by---is apt to be truly painful.

I realize that we're in a TiVo world, but if anyone can "tape" it for me---or in some other way render it watchable by yours truly---I'd be deeply grateful. Thanks.

LATER

I've been watching the show for half an hour, and it looks like they're going from west to east across the entire damn country, which means any shot of me, however brief, is apt to be in the last half hour of the two-hour premiere. But since they haven't shown any interviews, I doubt I made the cut, and I feel bad for having asked everyone to watch. You're putting up with some real punishment.

EVEN LATER

Yep. They're in New York now and I clearly didn't make the cut. Not even in the initial sweep which (I just realized) must have happened when I wasnt' even there. And I have to say that, as bad as my own experience with the show was, the editors are clearly smarter than the host. The show was better without me.

LATER YET

The more I think about it, the more I think the shitty questions we were asked might have been some sort of last-minute sop thrown to the latecomers to prevent us from rioting. It's the only reasonable explanation I can think of. And I feel so terribly dirty.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we only caught the last of the show. Sorry you weren't in the crowd shots. I can't believe Buck Star got on the show yet again. They didn't pick him yet again. Dude if they picked Buck Star over you, I'd die!

5/30/2006 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home