Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Monday, September 29, 2008

A Frank Opinion



One of the small upsides to our current financial crisis is that it's put Barney Frank, my favorite legislator, front and center on all the news networks. I don't know whether he's a great legislator or not--I imagine he's got to be good, though, if he got caught with a male prostitute and still got reelected--but I do know he's the funniest member of Congress that I'm aware of, and has been for a long time. In interviews he will swear freely, or say shocking and unsayable things. In an interview he did with Rolling Stone during the Clinton impeachment, he was asked who he likes and dislikes in his party, and he said two interesting things: first, "No one likes to admit it, but deep down all of us are basically alike" (i.e., lawyer types who liked the thrill of passing big laws). And second, asked to single out anyone for real hatred he said, "If Bob Barr was on fire, and I had a pail of water, I'd have to think long and hard about whether to put him out. I'd probably do it, but I'm sure I'd feel bad about it later."

Anyway, here he is on today's bailout bill failure, after the Republican leadership blamed the failure on Nancy Pelosi's apparently partisan speech. It's an absurd excuse, and Frank is appropriately withering. It's only a minute and a half. Enjoy.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We loves Barney Frank! He's so loved around here that Republicans don't even bother running against him anymore. I think the last one was in 2002.

9/30/2008 7:17 AM  
Blogger Andrew M Greene said...

That's my Congressman! Someone had the chutzpah to run against him in the primary a few weeks ago. Pfui!

10/01/2008 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boston Globe Article - Barney's home state paper pointing out those annoying little things called facts...

Fox News Article - Hey, I read the liberal press, you could stoop to reading some conservative press once in a while...

You Tube of Fox News Report - but it features many quotes from Barney Frank

NY Times article from 9/11/2003 - Read the full article for Frank's quote at the end...

Peter Principle at work...

10/03/2008 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home