Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Countdown to Homefulness: Day 9 (not 8)

My new place is going to be so small....(pause so you can chorus "How small is it?" Thanks.)...it's so small that I'm going to be sleeping on a sofabed. For at least a full year. This means that I'll need a pretty damn comfortable sofabed, which means in turn that I'm not going to trust Ikea with my tender back for that long. I'm willing to spend extra to get something genuinely liveable.

So for those of you with actual sofabed or furniture-buying experience, I'm asking: where should I be looking, and how much is clearly too much to pay? I've ruled out used bedding (risk of bedbugs), but that's as far as I know how to go.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad E Burns said...

I've heard Jennifer Convertables are very good--I think they key is making sure you get a full size mattress. I've had and used 2 sleeper sofas. One with an old foam 2" mattress and one with a full size regular coil-spring mattress. The second was vastly preferable--being more comfortable than even some beds. I assume you could always check when you buy a sofa if a mattress can be used as well--then you could buy it seperately if you are set on a specific style or whatever.

But trust me, as someone with lower back issues--the full mattress is the way to go with sleeper sofas. Unless the foam is like Tempurpedic or some other thick "space-age" product.

7/23/2008 1:26 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

If you've got back problems, don't cheap out on your mattress! You've been sleeping in a lot of different beds of late--pick the model that felt the best and then either: flop it onto a daybed frame if you get a single; or suck it up and put it in Murphy bed form for a double. Sez me, anyway.

7/23/2008 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home