Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Worst Ad Ever!


For some reason, Volkswagen has been running huge print ads in New York City that say, "Hey New York! The Rabbit is back!" Which is all well and good, except that for absolutely no reason I can think of, they show the Volkswagen Rabbit next to a pigeon and a rat, or---in this new one I saw today---a pigeon and a cockroach. You know---as if the Rabbit were the third in a series of noisome disease-carrying vermin. I can't imagine what the hell they're trying to convey. That the Rabbit is all-pervasive? That you can't get rid of it? That if you touch one you'd better use disinfectant? What I do know is that 1.) the ad leaves no clear direct message, and 2.) the indirect message is one of disgust and avoidance. What the fuck were they thinking?

My idea: run the exact same ads, only--get this--without the penguins and roaches. The end! That's it! And I've just sold twice as many of the damn things as these overpaid geniuses. So now can *I* get some of that ad revenue? Because some of us have student loans to pay off.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know who could confuse a pigeon with a penguin. Just so you know.

8/22/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger Cowboy Dave Dickerson said...

I just think removing the pigeons went without saying, you know? Penguins, though, have to be convinced to leave the stage, the little pishers.

8/23/2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger Jason Rohrblogger said...

I was going to comment about how rabbits are part of the rodent family and are therefore as repulsive as pigeons, penguins, and the like. To my further embarrassment, I raised rabbits for 4H in high school. A breed called Satin which were cruelly raised for their fur and nothing else. Needless to say they were big fluff balls of furry goodness with a little tiny rabbit tucked inside somewhere. Anyhoo, imagine my surprise when I went to confirm my assumption on the internet and discovered that rabbits are not rodents at all! They belong to the lagomorph family because of an extra set of incisors. My own experience can confirm that rabbits do indeed have teeth and lots of them. Lagomorph or not, they cannot wage an advertising campaign to save their lives...

8/23/2006 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home